Effects of Obesity
The consequences of obesity are much more complex and hidden than just external appearance. It’s important to be aware of the emotional, medical, social and economic effects of being overweight or obese. The likelihood of these conditions lessens after weight loss surgery.
Physical consequences of obesity can include:
- High blood pressure and hypertension.
- Sleep apnea and asthma.
- Heart disease and stroke.
- Arthritis and joint pain.
- Infertility and polycystic ovarian syndrome.
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).
Emotional consequences of obesity can include:
- Negative self-image and depression.
- Difficulty with day-to-day living.
- Social discrimination.
- Economic impact.
Obesity can contribute to many other health complications, including cancer, gall bladder disease, gout, high cholesterol, fatty liver disease, migraines, stress urinary incontinence and metabolic syndrome, among others.
Bariatric surgery is an effective way to treat obesity, and we have the surgeons and expertise to help you take control of your life!
For more information, call Michelle Harrison, RN, MSN, at (706) 880-7265.