Women often suffer in silence with conditions that can be effectively treated by a physical therapist. At Rehabilitation & Wellness we treat women every day that suffer with health issues ranging from pregnancy-related back pain to urinary incontinence to painful intercourse. While this may be surprising to some, these issues often involve the musculoskeletal system, which is our area of expertise. Tara Wilkie, PT, CLT, is a licensed physical therapist and women's health specialist who can effectively treat your women's health issues.
- Strengthening of the pelvic floor muscles and core abdominal muscles.
- Postural training.
- Biofeedback to retrain muscle coordination.
- Hands-on techniques to reduce muscle tightness and/or mobilize joints.
- Instruct in techniques to contact and relax the pelvic floor muscles correctly.
- Instruct in stretching/strengthening the pelvic floor.
- Teach techniques to decrease urinary urge and frequency.
- Education on diet (to avoid food/drinks that irritate the bladder).
Low Back Pain
- Increase lumbo-pelvic stability and postural education.
- Education regarding body mechanics.
- Abdominal and core strengthening.
- Lower extremity strengthening and increase flexibility.
- Education regarding nutrition and correction of defecation patterns and posture.
- Motor and sensory integration of the anorectal canal using biofeedback.
- Correct muscle imbalance of the anorectal canal with stretching and/or strengthening.
- Strengthening core abdominal muscles and education for abdominal wall massage.
- Helping people regain function and movement.
- Decongestive therapy.
- Manual lymphatic drainage followed by compression bandage.
Treatment by a women's health physical therapist may be an ideal non-surgical option for many patients. Patients may also benefit from treatment following surgery to help prevent adhesions or scarring and restore muscular strength and control.
Talk with your doctor. A referral to a Women's Health physical therapist may be the answer you've been looking for.
For more information, please contact Wilkie at (706) 845-3883.